ISDT Triumph

The check up

I unloaded and photographed all the bits and sprayed some penetrating oil on anything that seemed to still be bolted together, (precious little) and was pleased to see that a great many of the parts were there. (I already knew that the exhaust pipe ,handlebars, battery tray and mudguards were not present) . Generally it is assumed that all Rigid Triumphs Trophy’s used the parallel Generator heads and barrels which have a story and look ‘good’, however that is not the case, and the square heads were not as effective as the splayed (T100) head and by 52 they started to use that alloy head and barrel. I had popped into Armours of Bournemouth when I was down there with the head to sort the correct pipes and exhaust nuts. My head had the T100 stubs so it would need some machining later.

I have collected a good deal of material on the Trophy over the years importantly ‘The Trophy bible’ and ‘The Triumph twin restoration guide’ (How a book that has that much data to pass on can be such good reading is a mystery to me) also the various parts lists and instruction manuals. But there are always contradictions and gaps. In addition, the parts lists for Triumphs are not only complex and involve much page turning (illustration numbers and item numbers) but also do not show everything (try to find a picture of the head steady).They also do not give a lot away,‘Bolt’ and ‘nut’ hardly help when you are trying to see how many 5/16 cycle nuts you need to buy. (Comeback the Vincent spares list all is forgiven).

My intention is to restore to standard, but as I intend to do at least 1 MCC Trial and use the machine, my intended departures from standard are stainless fastenings, and 12V lights. The quest for standardisation is not helped by the fact less than 300 Trophy’s were produced in 52 and no UK Museum seems to hold a good example.

I rang the VMCC Library giving them the frame number this resulted in the factory records that they hold telling me when and where it had been despatched .I was in luck since Oxford was the destination and when I rang them they still have all the logbooks that they were responsible for back then,and all recorded on Micro-fiche. (I swore I would never visit Oxford again because of their anti road users policies but I guess I shall have to make an exception)

Anyway I sent away the 2 big outwork jobs, the BTH manual magneto and the Dynamo and started the task in the only way it can properly be done: - a rusty parts build and a good list.

In my case (since I use it a lot) an Excel spread sheet is ideal I can sort in by part number or by illustration and keep status of the parts and contact details on a line by line basis.

 

[Home] [The Check up] [Rusty Build] [engine & paintwork] [The rebuild] [The ride]